The most charming corners are probably to be found here among the bougainvillea and cobbled streets.
About the area..
San Angel arose around the large Ex Convent Carmen. The heavenly fruit gardens of the convent attracted the capital's aristocracy, who found here the perfect place for their holiday homes. And so the picturesque San Ángel was built. Narrow cobbled streets, beautiful colonial style houses with large gardens and delicate gratings. You will find squares with trees ideal for a moment of piece and quiet. There are also some flower markets. An idyllic place that attracted Diego Rivera and Frida Kahlo who built their homes here.
Today San Ángel is a favorite spot for residents and tourists coming on the weekends. On Saturdays, the area is full of bustle and animation. A typical arts & crafts market sets up at the Plaza de San Jacinto and on the streets and squares surrounding it.
Several shopping centers specialized in quality crafts, antiques and traditional products, folk art shops and street markets attract thousands of visitors who come to stroll around, shop, buy souvenirs, and eat at the local restaurants in the neighborhood. The most demanding palates will also find excellent restaurants nearby, some of international renown. A must-go destination for everybody who visit Mexico City.
1. Come for a Saturday morning stroll, look around and buy your souvenirs in one of the shops or at the traditional markets of popular arts and crafts.
2. Find antiques and unique products in specialized stores.
3. Look for the Arcangeles Square, sit under a tree and take a rest from the crowdiness of the market.
4. Go to see the mummies of the Ex Convento del Carmen. Scary!
5. Visit Diego Rivera and Frida Kahlo's twin homes, the first functionalist buildings designed by O'Gorman in Mexico.